Please join us for the scholarship for the 2018 Arnold Fencing Classic.
Win a $2,500 college scholarship!
The Columbus Rotary Club will award a $2500 scholarship to the one “best citizen fencer” at the Arnold Fencing Classic 2018! The $2500 scholarship will be held in your name until you enter college and can be used at your college of choice.
Criteria in selecting Nominees:
- Must be a competitor in the 2018 Arnold Fencing Classic
- You must be a US citizen.
- Overall competitive participation and success in fencing
- Academic success
- Quality of essay
- Fencer must be between ages 13-18 y.o.
- Fencer must be prepared to attend on the day the award is given, which may or may not be a day that he/she is fencing. This includes Friday, which may require missing school.
- All data must be submitted online.
To apply for the scholarship fencer must submit:
- Completed registration for at least one event at the Arnold Fencing Classic 2018
- Fencing Bio which includes your name, and fencing history (name, age, weapons, rankings, tournament achievements)
2018 Essay Theme “Fifteen Years in the Future”
Thirty years ago, Arnold Schwartzenegger could not have imagined that the Arnold Sports Festival would be what it is today—a one of a kind showcase of athleticism, boasting sports festivals on six continents. Remarkable! The Festival in Columbus, Ohio features more than 18,000 athletes from 80 nations competing in 70 sports and events. Even more remarkable! Fencing has been a part of the Classic for fifteen years.
Fifteen years from now, when you approach a similar anniversary, where will you be—in your studies, in your career, in your fencing, in your life? The Arnold Fencing Classic Scholarship, sponsored by Columbus Rotary, invites you to write an essay where you explore the possibilities of your future. Where do you hope to be in fifteen years?
- A recommendation letter demonstrating your leadership, scholarship and community involvement. The letter can be from the individual of your choice, excluding fencing coaches and family members.
- Submit all items via the form below no later than 02/15/2018. Please use “AFC Essay” in the subject line of your essay and include your name and phone number.
“Fifteen Years in the Future” is the theme of the Arnold Fencing Classic 2018. Therefore, your essay should support that position. How you approach the subject is up to you. The essay should by between 500 and 1500 words.
Manuscript guidelines for essays:
All essays should use the following criteria for submission. Essays not in the prescribed format will be disqualified.
- Double-spaced, typed pages in legible font (e.g. Courier, Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica). Please do not use fancy or artistic fonts such as Comic Sans Serif. Fonts should also be 12 pt type.
- Page margins must be at least 1 inch around.
- Essays should not have identifying information about you in the header. It's fine if it is part of your essay, but the reviewers do not want to see names of applicants during the reading process. Please include the approximate word count in the upper left corner.
- Pages must be numbered.
- Each page after the first should have a header or footer with the title and page number (e.g. THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES – 2)
ALL SUBMISSIONS must be done online via the form below. We do not accept submissions that are emailed or physically mailed to us.